Texas Muslim Women's Foundation's mission is to empower, promote and support all women and their families through education, outreach, philanthropy and social services.
In 2005, against the backdrop of a post 9/11 world, Dr. Hind Jarrah, Ph.D. (Executive Director 2005-2020) and a diverse group of Muslim women in the North Texas region assembled, with the objective of serving the local community while representing a positive example of Muslims - specifically Muslim women.
In assessing the needs of the community, it became clear that Muslim victims of domestic violence were in dire need of culturally-specific and trauma-informed services, Muslim parents desired leadership programs for their children, and the general public was seeking to understand more about the Muslim faith and create bridges in the face of fear.
With these varying needs, the Texas Muslim Women’s Foundation was founded, promoting peace and understanding within the family unit and across the many diverse communities in North Texas.
As TMWF has grown, we have expanded our services and outreach to not just North Texas, but nationwide.
Texas Muslim Women’s Foundation has been committed to a strategic and holistic approach as a social services agency and promoter of peace. We seek to build a stronger community guided by awareness, understanding and compassion for each other.
Over the years we have grown and expanded our programs, services and outreach to serve the ongoing and ever-changing needs of our clients and community. For 15 years we have been leading the change for Domestic Violence Awareness in the community.
- Established 2 emergency 24/7 crisis shelters for survivors of Family and Domestic Violence
- 27+ Transitional Apartments including HUD Rapid Re-Housing
- United Imams (Muslim religious leaders) in North Texas with a zero-tolerance pledge against domestic violence
- Created ongoing interfaith dialogues and activities
- Spearheaded the creation of the Contemporary Arab & Muslim Cultural Institute (CAMSCI) at the University of North Texas
- Engaged the Muslim community, providing training and education on domestic violence, online safety for youth, mental wellness, financial literacy, women’s entrepreneurship